In today's modern world we are surrounded by plastic which is a big problem for humans, nature and animals. It is very durable and it can take hundreds of years for it to decompose. But even before the plastic starts to litter our environment and the seas, it can be harmful to us. That's why we show you a few simple tips & tricks on how to avoid plastic in everyday life.
Don't use plastic when shopping
Plastic packaging and bags have become indispensable in the supermarket. But anyone can save a lot of plastic when shopping with a little more environmental awareness. For example with the following actions:
- Take your own carrier bag with you when you go shopping.
- Fruit and vegetables don't need extra plastic packaging, they are already protected by their natural shell. And if not, you can wash it at home. Just put it loosely on the belt and then store it in its own reusable bag. Do not buy products with too much plastic packaging and look for alternatives. Buying large quantities also saves plastic. Then simply decant into glass containers at home. here you can find out where to buy Zero Waste!
Did you know that microplastics can also be found in your food and drink? The smaller the microplastic parts, the higher the probability that they end up in the food chain.
Small particles can come off the packaging and get into our food. Through cosmetics, clothes and co. the microplastics can penetrate into the natural ecosystems, from which we obtain drinking water, seafood and fish and then consume them. In this way, the plastic can unintentionally penetrate into our bodies. What you can do to protect your body and our environment:
- Don't eat ready meals and cook by yourself - it's healthier anyway ;-)
- Replace disposable products like plastic dishes with reusable options.
- Don't use the straw in restaurants and bars and drink directly from the glass.
- Glass bottle instead of plastic bottle. We are lucky to have such clean tap water.
- Bringing your own coffee mug along with your coffee to go is welcome at many restaurant chains and is sometimes even rewarded.
- Aluminium foil and cling film can easily be replaced by Tupperware. Tupperware and glass containers are also suitable for storage in the fridge or freezer.
Zero plastic waste bathroom
You don't immediately think of the bathroom when you think of plastic but shampoo packaging, creams, toothbrushes and disposable objects such as cotton swabs have become a big problem. A switch to natural cosmetics and more environmentally friendly packaging helps:
- Plastic dispensers with liquid soap can easily be replaced with reusable soap dispensers and refilled with the refill pack. And it is even more environmentally friendly: soap bars or hand soap can be bought and used without any packaging.
- toothbrush made of bamboo, the handle is at least compostable. You can find other great alternatives for dental care at ohne.ch. There are even sustainable toothpaste capsules for those who like to experiment.
It is anything but easy to do without plastic. But we should all start step by step and do something good for our environment. It helps to think about where we use plastic and if it is really needed. With small steps you can achieve great things. Make the plastic alternatives your habit and nature, the animals and your body will be grateful.